County receives one complaint in wake of smoking ban

The state has registered 171 complaints since the smoking ban in restaurants and bars went into effect Jan. 2.

One of those complaints was at a Burlington bar.

The complaint was made Monday against Cuz’s Tavern, at 1532 N. Graham-Hopedale Road, when a patron saw ashtrays on tables inside the bar, said Alamance County Health Department spokesman Eric Nickens.

Repeat business offenders can be penalized $200 per day. Customers who ignore the smoking ban face a $50 fine.

State health director Dr. Jeffrey Engel says he is pleased so far with the response to a new statewide smoking ban in nearly all restaurants and bars.

Local health departments are in charge of investigating complaints.

Complaints can be registered with the state and county three ways: online at www.smokefree.nc.gov; by telephone via the state’s Care Line, 1-800-662-7030; or by calling Alamance County’s Environmental Health division at 570-6367.

The complaint totals will be updated weekly. Engel said the law’s effects on North Carolina residents will be evaluated.

About 24,000 bars and restaurants are required to follow the ban. Cigar bars and nonprofit private clubs are exempt if they meet certain standards.

source: www.thetimesnews.com

Similar Posts:

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!