Coronation Street’s head honcho has defended the soap for having characters who smoke.
Executive producer Kieran Roberts told Radio Times: “While we have a duty not to glamorise the habit, it would be realistic to see nobody smoking – but only a few regulars do.”
He added that the smoking ban in 2007 means characters such as Deidre Barlow (Anne Kirkbride) tend to smoke outdoors now, for example in the back yard of the Rovers.
He went on: “Just as in real life, that makes the habit more visible, but it’s not actually more prevalent.”
Corrie characters who are known to enjoy acigarettesmall.biz/buy/marlboro also include Becky McDonald (Katherine Kelly) and Liz McDonald (Bev Callard).
The Rovers Return was one of the first TV soap pubs to abide by the new smoking law when it came into force in England on July 1, 2007.
- Is Hollywood Creating a Pack of Young Smokers?
- Cindy Fairfield: It’s about personal responsibility
- Simpsons in smoking scandal
- Kanawha County Smoking Ban: One Year Later
- E-Cigarettes: A New Way to Quit Smoking?